Monday, November 17, 2008

Goodbye to the Pacifier

We decided it was time for Brooklyn to be done with her pacifier. I didn't know how she would handle it--it's her best friend at times. The other day, I started telling her that she was a big girl now & since she would be 2 soon, it was time to get rid of her pacifiers. She seemed ok with it & I thought "we'll see at bed time if she is still ok with it". Bedtime came & we gave her her blanket & she asked for her pacifier. We told her that she was a big girl now & she didn't need it anymore. To my surprise, she said ok & rolled over to go to sleep. I thought for sure as I closed her door she would start crying, but she didn't. She went to sleep. It's been 3 nights now & she hasn't cried once for it. She did ask for it at church today, but Jake told her she was a big girl & she seemed ok. After church, she got into the drawer where I've kept a stash of pacifiers & she was so excited. She grabbed all 4 of them, stuffed one in her mouth & took off running with the others in her hand. It was like she had just found a big bag of candy & was sneaking off to go eat it. It was pretty funny to watch her. She eventually gave them back & hasn't asked again for them. I have been so proud of her. I never imagined it would be as easy as it was with her. Way to go, Brooklyn!! You are such a big girl!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Thanks for the weaning tip! My boys are 18 months and I told myself at 2 the pacifiers need to go - so 6 more months of peace then we'll see what happens! I hope my experience turns out to be as easy as yours.

Burnside Family said...

Way to go Brooklyn. We are proud of you. We are so excited to see all of you at Thanksgiving

Anonymous said...

You are so lucky. I've been wanting to get Max off his pacifier, but I haven't know how to. He loves it and asks for it all the time, even though he only gets it at night. Hopefully we can get him off soon.

Martha said...

I think Avery will take her mimi with her on her first date!!! Good job Brooke (and mom and dad). If it weren't for losing your car keys, she'd be almost perfect.