Jake started a tradition almost 10 years ago. In 1998, for Mother's Day, Jake used some dental impression material to make molds of Melissa's hands. I loved it & he has done it for each child since then. We finally got around to getting Brooke's hand molds made & Jake tried a different kind of impression material. This stuff molded so good to her hands that it was hard to get her hands out of the cups. The first hand came out somewhat ok, but we noticed a few red spots on her fingers. I thought she had some scratches on her hands before we did the molds so we didn't worry to much about it. We did the next hand & I wasn't sure we were going to get her hand out without needing to break the mold. Jake had to pull pretty hard & I was getting nervous about her fingers. Brooklyn was kind of crying, but for what she went through I can't believe she didn't cry harder. What a brave, strong, tough little girl! Anyway, her fingers finally came out & they were purplish/black on all her knuckles! I had Jake look at them & he first thought they were dislocated. I about died. My poor little baby!! She wiggled her fingers fine so we tried to figure out what happened. We figured that as her fingers were being pulled out her skin was being suctioned to the mold. It was forming hickies on her knuckles. She never complained about her fingers hurting so we decided that that must have been what happened. The hickies didn't go away for days so everytime I looked at her hands I just felt so bad. I tried to take a picture of them, but she wouldn't hold her hands still long enough to get a good picture. She probably didn't trust me holding her hands down. I'm sure she thought something else was going to happen that would hurt. The things my kids sometimes have to go through to keep me happy.
This picture really doesn't show how bad her fingers looked. The way they look here is how they looked on day 3 or 4. The color was so much darker--a really deep purple/black.

I love all the molds of my children's hands. Now I just need to figure out where to put them & how to display them. I would die if one of them broke!!
3 comments:
That is so sad to see her fingers. I have wanted to do this for Max and haven't done it yet...I'm glad it still works as they get a little older.
Hi Becca!
This is Laurie Davis from Helaman Halls! How's that for a throwback? I found your blog via Martha Yorgason (wondering if she was related to your brother) on Heather and Will's blog.
You have beautiful girls!!! Since I've got three boys, we'll have to look into blind dates in the future.
You and Jake look great. Do you keep in touch with Marianne? I always felt like you two were girls I should have gotten to know better. Ah, regrets.
Anyway, nice to find you in blogland. Drop by and check us out and say hi to your brother.
Your hair is dark!! I love it Becca..I wish I was brave enough to go dark. It looks awesome on you. The hands are adorable. i remember when the guys would make them for their new babies during school and i thought it was so sweet. It still is. What a great thing to have maybe you could mount them or put them in a case..I'm scared they could break. I love it!
Post a Comment